Old 31-01-2006, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Default Phal. lueddemanniana

Thanks for the info Al. Maybe I'll try another minus soon. They are great
looking plants. I don't keep the phals and cyms in the same GH. One's kept
at 60 deg minimum and the other at 45-50 minimum. The cyms grow very well
with epis, some dendrobs, roses, mums, winter bulbs and overwintering tubs
of things like hibiscus and bougainvillea. Of course, there are
microclimates that accomodate more temps even with the HAF fans going full
blast.
Thanks again
Gary

"Al" wrote in message
Phal minus would probably like to be on cork better than in a pot
However, cork kept moist to the point of fostering a little moss colony
around the roots. I have seen this plant drop al leaves and then restart
a crown months later. I have also seen this plant make root kiekies
inches away from the central crown. I have seen Phal lobbii do this too.
For this reason I am afraid to declare a plant dead just because there is
nothing left but a tag and a bit of fleshy root tissue clinging to an old
tree branch

It is possible for a plant to like both being mounted and lots of
moisture. I think the luedde likes being mounted better than being in a
pot, but I would not grow it as damp as a minus.

Phal Luedde... They tend to make long ever-growing spikes that form
kiekies very easily. They make shorter branching spikes from the nodes
and bloom on these in the early spring around here and then make some
more kiekies. I have one that is a great grand mother and still has all
her daughters and grand daughters, etc. attached. It is grown in an open
8 inch wire basket...lots of air around the roots. It gets treated to the
same temps all my Phals (about 63 to 65 degree winter nights and 80 to 90
during the day in the summer. It gets watered when the bark and visible
roots start to look dry, which is 3 to 7 times a week depending on the
season.

V_coerulea, I think it would be hard to grow and bloom cymbidiums in the
same greenhouse as you grow Phals. All the cymbidiums I ever met dropped
their buds when night temps got into the lower to mid 60 and the Phals I
know drop their buds when the night temps get lower than the mid 60s. But
I have not tried cymbidiums in many many years. Maybe their attitude has
improved in the ensuing decades since I first tried them. I know there
must be some warmth tolerant hybrids out there now.

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Pretty much standard but I don't let the temp drop on them like the
hybrids. I haven't had the nerve to try any mounted since I killed a nice
Phal minus on cork. Couldn't keep it moist enough.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks, Gary. Pretty much standard Phal care then, aside from hanging it
sideways. I do that with some Phals now, and also have some mounted. No
crown rot, ever.....

Diana