Old 31-01-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default why shouldn't you prune if frost forecast?

JB wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:20:24 +0000, linette
wrote:

just mulling over the scientific reasons why you shouldn't prune hardy
shrubs when frost is forecast...

have been 'brought up' to avoid pruning in very cold weather and this
does instinctively feel right, but anyone have any clues as to why?

I would guess that the cells on the exposed cuts could be damaged by
low temperatures, therefore encouraging nasty wounds etc etc - but been
a while since I did all that at college, anyone remember the reasons?

Instinctively I would have thought that pruning in very cold weather
would be a good idea as the plant would be dormant, but that pruning
in frost would be a bad idea as the cut area could be damaged by frost
and the plant would not have an opportunity to heal the wound.

So which is right?

I wonder if it's to do with the moisture, expansion then contraction
tearing the cells apart.

It's not good for human parts either!

Richard.