Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Default Loot List!

Sorry for the goof. I had the harrisoniae - loddigesii thing on my mind
while I was typing the Brabantiae line. Thanks for the correction.
Gary

wrote in message
oups.com...
V_coerulea wrote:
Looks like you were very restrained. Nice list. The primary hybrid of C
harrisoniae X C loddigesii = C Brabantiae. Very nice.
I'd like to know the answer to the harrisoniae vs loddigesii puzzle too.
bought a flask about 2 years ago as loddigesii var harrisoniana. They're
getting to be good sized plants so I'd like to know the name before I
sell
or give any away.
Gary

IIRC, C. Brabanitiae is C. loddigesii x C. aclandiae

Francisco Miranda has a nice discussion of C. loddigesii and C.
harrisoniana he http://mirandaorchids.com/loddigesiiVGA.htm

Not that it is C. harrisoniana, not C. harrisoniae -- if you had
trouble finding info, the spelling might be the reason.

The bottom line is that questions like this are a judgment call, and
you have to assess the data yourself. For me, the different bloom
season is critical, because that would tend to make them reproductively
isolated, even if they grew in the same habitat.

In general, I think it is better from a horticultural point of view to
be a splitter. Whether you call the plant C. harrisoniana or C.
loddigesii var harrisoniana isn't so important, as long as you
distinguish it from plain old C. loddigesii.

Nick