Old 01-02-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Indoor HYACINTHS: what to do with them now

La Puce wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
They never recover fully for me, so the choice is always to do what
you do or chuck them away. Good well-drained soil with lots of
composty stuff will keep them going. I'd try to keep the ones you've
got growing in good light till the middle of March or thereabouts
before planting out: if they're badly wilted already the prognosis
may be poor.

But you would think all the food has been stored within the bulbs once
wilted.

By the end of January, and in a forced bulb grown indoors? I'd be
surprised if they'd picked up many nutrients, if any at all.

Wouldn't you keep them until next autumn in a dry dark shoe
box for example? I've never did, that's why I ask, I plant them out.

That's the last thing I'd try. They need leaf-action to build up
reserves.

I lift my tulips once done and store them this way until the
following autumn. I've done a few hyacinths (all white) in the house
this year but I wouldn't throw them away.

Your tulips have probably had a decent time in the ground after
flowering: different situation.

--
Mike.