Old 01-02-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

Default Indoor HYACINTHS: what to do with them now

We have some hyacinths which we had indoors over Christmas: they're now
wilting quietly in the utility room awaiting their fate. In the past we
have simply stuck 'em in the garden and hoped for the best. This year
I'd like to do what's _best_ for them: what advice does the panel have?

Cheers
John
Old 01-02-2006, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

John wrote:
We have some hyacinths which we had indoors over Christmas: they're
now wilting quietly in the utility room awaiting their fate. In the
past we have simply stuck 'em in the garden and hoped for the best.
This year I'd like to do what's _best_ for them: what advice does the
panel have?

They never recover fully for me, so the choice is always to do what you
do or chuck them away. Good well-drained soil with lots of composty
stuff will keep them going. I'd try to keep the ones you've got growing
in good light till the middle of March or thereabouts before planting
out: if they're badly wilted already the prognosis may be poor.

--
Mike.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
John wrote:
We have some hyacinths which we had indoors over Christmas: they're
now wilting quietly in the utility room awaiting their fate. In the
past we have simply stuck 'em in the garden and hoped for the best.
This year I'd like to do what's _best_ for them: what advice does the
panel have?

They never recover fully for me, so the choice is always to do what you
do or chuck them away. Good well-drained soil with lots of composty
stuff will keep them going. I'd try to keep the ones you've got growing
in good light till the middle of March or thereabouts before planting
out: if they're badly wilted already the prognosis may be poor.

But you would think all the food has been stored within the bulbs once
wilted. Wouldn't you keep them until next autumn in a dry dark shoe box
for example? I've never did, that's why I ask, I plant them out. I lift
my tulips once done and store them this way until the following autumn.
I've done a few hyacinths (all white) in the house this year but I
wouldn't throw them away.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

La Puce wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
They never recover fully for me, so the choice is always to do what
you do or chuck them away. Good well-drained soil with lots of
composty stuff will keep them going. I'd try to keep the ones you've
got growing in good light till the middle of March or thereabouts
before planting out: if they're badly wilted already the prognosis
may be poor.

But you would think all the food has been stored within the bulbs once
wilted.

By the end of January, and in a forced bulb grown indoors? I'd be
surprised if they'd picked up many nutrients, if any at all.

Wouldn't you keep them until next autumn in a dry dark shoe
box for example? I've never did, that's why I ask, I plant them out.

That's the last thing I'd try. They need leaf-action to build up
reserves.

I lift my tulips once done and store them this way until the
following autumn. I've done a few hyacinths (all white) in the house
this year but I wouldn't throw them away.

Your tulips have probably had a decent time in the ground after
flowering: different situation.

--
Mike.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

John wrote:

We have some hyacinths which we had indoors over Christmas: they're now
wilting quietly in the utility room awaiting their fate. In the past we
have simply stuck 'em in the garden and hoped for the best. This year
I'd like to do what's _best_ for them: what advice does the panel have?

Stick them in the garden where they get some spring sunshine and don't
let them dry out too soon. They need time to store energy in the bulbs
if they are to flower again next year. A sheltered S facing spot under
the shelter of a deciduous shrub is ideal. They flower much later
outdoors. Most of mine have naturalised and flower year after year.

I have yet to get them to flower exactly at Christmas!
This years were two weeks late.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Indoor Hyacinths Benacre Gardening 1 18-02-2011 09:58 PM
stock market huckster are running out of carefully cultivated myths(that transfers your wealth to them)that are falling to reality, buy and hold, invest for the long term, stocks are cheap right now, and now the biggie:Diversification [email protected] Gardening 0 31-05-2009 08:18 PM
indoor growers--check your electrical stuff *now* janet_a Orchids 4 25-08-2004 10:31 PM
Now home to hyacinths (was:Concrete pond cracks~ links, can you help?) lab~rat Ponds 4 18-12-2003 01:02 PM
snails - now you see them, now you don't Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:17 AM