Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default Indoor HYACINTHS: what to do with them now

John wrote:

We have some hyacinths which we had indoors over Christmas: they're now
wilting quietly in the utility room awaiting their fate. In the past we
have simply stuck 'em in the garden and hoped for the best. This year
I'd like to do what's _best_ for them: what advice does the panel have?

Stick them in the garden where they get some spring sunshine and don't
let them dry out too soon. They need time to store energy in the bulbs
if they are to flower again next year. A sheltered S facing spot under
the shelter of a deciduous shrub is ideal. They flower much later
outdoors. Most of mine have naturalised and flower year after year.

I have yet to get them to flower exactly at Christmas!
This years were two weeks late.

Regards,
Martin Brown