Old 26-02-2003, 09:23 PM
DaveDay34

Default peas and beans yield

We are new to veg growing and planning our first crops. I have no idea
about how many of each of our peas and beans to plan for. I want to grow
climbing French Hunter, Runner enorma, and broad beans, and early onward
and sugar snap peas. Can anyone help me with an idea of how much crop I
could reasonably expect from a single plant of each so that I can work out
how many I need.
Thank you,

Rebecca

Sorry to be a bore, but the best thing you can do is buy a soil testing kit
before you decide to do anything. Test soil pH, and levels of the three main
nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium). When you have the results,
you can then best decide what you should grow. High calcium levels will
interfere with nutrient uptake with some plants. Most testing kits come with
recommendations about what plants will grow best in the soil you have, and what
to do to correct any imbalances. Most kits are relatively cheap and
instructions easy to follow.

Hope this helps.

Dave.