Old 23-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Dave P

Default peas and beans yield

We are new to veg growing and planning our first crops. I have no idea
about how many of each of our peas and beans to plan for. I want to grow
climbing French Hunter, Runner enorma, and broad beans, and early onward
and sugar snap peas. Can anyone help me with an idea of how much crop I
could reasonably expect from a single plant of each so that I can work out
how many I need.
Thank you,

Rebecca

Old 23-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Dave P
writes
We are new to veg growing and planning our first crops. I have no idea
about how many of each of our peas and beans to plan for. I want to grow
climbing French Hunter, Runner enorma, and broad beans, and early onward
and sugar snap peas. Can anyone help me with an idea of how much crop I
could reasonably expect from a single plant of each so that I can work out
how many I need.
Thank you,

How much crop you will get from a plant will depend mainly on the way
you treat it and partly on its variety, the soil it grows in etc.
How much crop you will need will depend on how many people are consuming
the produce, how much you wish to preserve and how much you want to give
away or exchange for other garden produce or plants etc.

That said, a rough guide would be: 2-3 broad beans per person for fresh
eating 3-5 if you freeze them; the same for sugar snap peas and for
climbing and runner beans which crop fresh for a longer season than
broad beans. Early or maincrop peas you cannot grow too many of,
especially if you are going to store some. Remember that several of the
crops will co-incide in mid to late summer, giving you a glut to deal
with at a time when folk are often on holiday.

Further questions are welcome on this subject and a good deal of general
information about peas and beans can be found in the urg FAQ called the
Veg.& Salad plant Index at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm
and in the one on Garden Beans at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/beans.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Rebecca wrote in message
We are new to veg growing and planning our first crops. I have no idea
about how many of each of our peas and beans to plan for. I want to grow
climbing French Hunter, Runner enorma, and broad beans, and early onward
and sugar snap peas. Can anyone help me with an idea of how much crop I
could reasonably expect from a single plant of each so that I can work out
how many I need.

Sorry can't help with your unusual request except...
Peas freeze well without blanching so no matter how many you grow they will
never be wasted. (May have to buy another freezer though. ) pod them, weight
them into portions, bag them and freeze. We grow 4+ varieties of proper
peas, can't stand eating pods. :-)
French Beans do freeze too but need blanching.
Runners don't freeze well (in our opinion!) so use them as a summer treat
fresh from the garden.
Broad Beans should be in and growing now! Freeze well too.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 23-02-2003, 09:51 PM
david

For peas I would get a good old variety that grows to 5ft or so these will
keep cropping over several weeks so you are not faced with a glut all coming
in within a few days.
I used to grow epicure and I would reckon to get around 15 pods to each
vine, these would have around 8 to 10 peas to each pod. used to grow a 15ft
row which did me well.
for kidney beans which I will eat every day given a chance, I used to grow
around a 30ft row.
Hard to say the cropping weight as this is dependant on so many things,
weather, soil fertility watering, pollination and theft.
I add the last as for a couple of years I used to get a lot of Peas stolen
by a Jay which came daily for a feed.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 24-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Rog

"Dave P" wrote in message
We are new to veg growing and planning our first crops. I have no idea
about how many of each of our peas and beans to plan for. I want to grow
climbing French Hunter, Runner enorma, and broad beans, and early onward
and sugar snap peas. Can anyone help me with an idea of how much crop I
could reasonably expect from a single plant of each so that I can work out
how many I need.
Thank you,

Rebecca

A few notes on runner beans...
http://www.geocities.com/rogerscyberhome/bean.html
Rog

Old 26-02-2003, 09:23 PM
DaveDay34

We are new to veg growing and planning our first crops. I have no idea
about how many of each of our peas and beans to plan for. I want to grow
climbing French Hunter, Runner enorma, and broad beans, and early onward
and sugar snap peas. Can anyone help me with an idea of how much crop I
could reasonably expect from a single plant of each so that I can work out
how many I need.
Thank you,

Rebecca

Sorry to be a bore, but the best thing you can do is buy a soil testing kit
before you decide to do anything. Test soil pH, and levels of the three main
nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium). When you have the results,
you can then best decide what you should grow. High calcium levels will
interfere with nutrient uptake with some plants. Most testing kits come with
recommendations about what plants will grow best in the soil you have, and what
to do to correct any imbalances. Most kits are relatively cheap and
instructions easy to follow.

Hope this helps.

Dave.