Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

Default When to plant

"Jonny" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't appear like its going to get cold this winter.

When's the best time to plant:
tomatoes?

Put them in pots as soon as you can find what you want, if you are talking
about just a few and not a couple of acres. Outside when the weather
permits and inside when freezing is predicted. I am in San Antonio and our
wx guesser is saying we are due for some winter weather later this month.
Our latest freeze date is 3 April but normally not much after 15 March so
they can go in the ground about that time. Adjust the dates for your area
and be prepared to protect them.

strawberries?

Usually late fall so they bloom and produce in late spring early summer,
they don't do well in the heat

leaf lettuce?

Sept to Feb

jalapeno peppers?

After it really gets warm. They like hot weather and will not do anything
until it gets hot.

spinach?

In the fall after it cools off. Our county agent says you take the package
of seed out to the garden and walk around the garden three times and if you
are not sweating then plant your spinach.

If the heat isn't too bad, can I expect more than one growing season for
any
listed?

Fall is the best time for gardening here and if you can get the timing down
you can get a second round of tomatoes and as you can see some of the things
you ask about are really winter items.

--
Jonny