Old 03-02-2006, 03:26 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default When to plant

Doesn't appear like its going to get cold this winter.

When's the best time to plant:
tomatoes?
strawberries?
leaf lettuce?
jalapeno peppers?
spinach?

If the heat isn't too bad, can I expect more than one growing season for any
listed?
--
Jonny

Old 03-02-2006, 03:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Jonny wrote:
When's the best time to plant:
tomatoes?

Late march and again in late june.

strawberries?

I think these are planted in the fall, but they are marginal at best here.

leaf lettuce?

Now.

jalapeno peppers?

Late march.

spinach?

Now.

If the heat isn't too bad, can I expect more than one growing season for any
listed?

Chiles will keep producing until the first frost. Tomatoes sometimes do
the same, though most folks replant in summer.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

"Jonny" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't appear like its going to get cold this winter.

When's the best time to plant:
tomatoes?

Put them in pots as soon as you can find what you want, if you are talking
about just a few and not a couple of acres. Outside when the weather
permits and inside when freezing is predicted. I am in San Antonio and our
wx guesser is saying we are due for some winter weather later this month.
Our latest freeze date is 3 April but normally not much after 15 March so
they can go in the ground about that time. Adjust the dates for your area
and be prepared to protect them.

strawberries?

Usually late fall so they bloom and produce in late spring early summer,
they don't do well in the heat

leaf lettuce?

Sept to Feb

jalapeno peppers?

After it really gets warm. They like hot weather and will not do anything
until it gets hot.

spinach?

In the fall after it cools off. Our county agent says you take the package
of seed out to the garden and walk around the garden three times and if you
are not sweating then plant your spinach.

If the heat isn't too bad, can I expect more than one growing season for
any
listed?

Fall is the best time for gardening here and if you can get the timing down
you can get a second round of tomatoes and as you can see some of the things
you ask about are really winter items.

--
Jonny

Old 04-02-2006, 01:43 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

I grow 'Sequoia' strawberries and they are intermixed with the
wildflowers so they are shaded somewhat when the heat comes. They
bear fruit from late March through end of July. Now, if I can get
some before the little rats, and birds, that would be divine!

Old 04-02-2006, 05:31 AM posted to austin.gardening
harriswest

Victor Martinez wrote:

Victor,

Nice to see you still posting after my hiatus. Your advice remains as
sound as ever! G

Jonny wrote:
When's the best time to plant:
tomatoes?

Late march and again in late june.

Jonny,

I use March 15 as my target date for planting frost tender plants.
Don't be fooled by clement weather in February unless you are prepared
to protect an entire garden against an overnight cold snap.

leaf lettuce?

Now.

The lettuce I planted in November bolted due to warm weather; I'm hoping
to get a second crop before it heats up.

You should plant peas about now as well. I consider early spring peas a
treat on par with summer corn and tomatoes.

If the heat isn't too bad, can I expect more than one growing season for any
listed?

Chiles will keep producing until the first frost. Tomatoes sometimes do
the same, though most folks replant in summer.

I don't grow jalapenos because they're not as hot as I like and have
sort of a dull grassy note to their flavor. I prefer serranos because
they've got a "brighter" flavor and a bit more heat in the front of the
mouth.

That said, I always dig up one or two of my serranos to pot up for the
winter months, dragging them indoors when freeze threatens. They'll
keep producing albeit less prolifically than summer plants but enough
for an emergency batch of salsa now and then. I won't replant them in
spring as they don't seem to be quite as prolific and I get bug problems
from stink bugs that have "wintered over" otherwise.

I've been fighting a stink bug infestation for the last 3-4 years that I
let get out of hand due to sloppy sanitation and poor crop timing. I
saw light at the end of the tunnel last year but have been foregoing
late-season tomato crops and have been ruthlessly trashing rather than
composting much of my home grown organic matter.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 05-02-2006, 07:32 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt

Jonny wrote:

[...]

http://www.tcmastergardener.org/Vege...s_Count y.pdf
or