Old 04-02-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Heated Propagator

ajr wrote:
Good evening,

I want to grow chillies from seed this year and the advice that I've
got back is to make sure that they get a good start by heating the
soil to 70 degrees, using a heated propagator.

No idea on what make or model to buy - can anyone recommend a
manufacturer? I only want to grow a dozen or so plants so I assume a
cheap and cheerful, small propagator will be sufficient.

Any help gratefully received.

If it's only for chillies, it's quite unnecessary: a warm windowsill is
all I've ever used for both seeds and mature plants. I recommend peat
pots to avoid root damage when potting on.

My take on this -- but others may know better -- is that you may bring
your seedlings on too quickly and risk ending up with straggly plants
instead of stocky tough ones. The plants you get need to be suitable for
the conditions in which they'll be finally planted out: spindly ones
won't do well anywhere, but outdoors or in a cold greenhouse they'll be
set back particularly seriously. If you're going to use a heated
greenhouse for the final situation, then that's also the place for the
seeds, in my opinion.

--
Mike.