Old 04-02-2006, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ajr

Default Heated Propagator

Good evening,

I want to grow chillies from seed this year and the advice that I've got
back is to make sure that they get a good start by heating the soil to 70
degrees, using a heated propagator.

No idea on what make or model to buy - can anyone recommend a manufacturer?
I only want to grow a dozen or so plants so I assume a cheap and cheerful,
small propagator will be sufficient.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 04-02-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

ajr wrote:
Good evening,

I want to grow chillies from seed this year and the advice that I've
got back is to make sure that they get a good start by heating the
soil to 70 degrees, using a heated propagator.

No idea on what make or model to buy - can anyone recommend a
manufacturer? I only want to grow a dozen or so plants so I assume a
cheap and cheerful, small propagator will be sufficient.

Any help gratefully received.

If it's only for chillies, it's quite unnecessary: a warm windowsill is
all I've ever used for both seeds and mature plants. I recommend peat
pots to avoid root damage when potting on.

My take on this -- but others may know better -- is that you may bring
your seedlings on too quickly and risk ending up with straggly plants
instead of stocky tough ones. The plants you get need to be suitable for
the conditions in which they'll be finally planted out: spindly ones
won't do well anywhere, but outdoors or in a cold greenhouse they'll be
set back particularly seriously. If you're going to use a heated
greenhouse for the final situation, then that's also the place for the
seeds, in my opinion.

--
Mike.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ajr

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ajr wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice Mike.

No idea what to do, so I'm going to plant half the seeds as you've suggested
and the other half using my new heated propogator - I have to justify buying
it somehow!! :-)

Will let you know the results in the summer.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"ajr" wrote in message

No idea what to do, so I'm going to plant half the seeds as you've

suggested
and the other half using my new heated propogator - I have to justify

buying
it somehow!! :-)

A heated propagator - even the cheapest basic model* without any thermostat
can be a great help when striking cuttings. Without any bottom heat some
cuttings can seem to sit around for ages. Whereas a bit of heat gives a
much better success rate, and quicker too. Similarly for anyone growing
cactus from seed a heated propagator can make all the difference as the
seed germinates quicker, and so can be sown earlier, allowing the plants
to reach a reasonable size, match head as opposed to pin head by the end
of their first season. Although columnar cacti may be bigger.

*One thing to look out for is the lids. More expensive lids are
made of acrylic which doesn't yellow with age. The styrene lids
used in some cheap propagators does. However some cheap unheated
propagators come with acrylic lids - and are worth looking out
for as this often works out cheaper than buying a spare acrylic
lid individually. Provide they're from the same make and so can
be guarenteed to fit, that is.

As has been pointed out by Mike Lyle, you will get unbalanced plants
if the heat outstrips the amount of available light. The structure of
individual plants species is the one best adapted to take advantage
both of the prevailing light levels and its associated temperature
as is normally found in nature. i.e. the plant develops leaves more
quickly so as to take advantage of the (maybe non-existent) light
levels more normally associated with that ambient temperature.

Most biological processes are speeded up by an increase in temperature
within limits. Which is why bottom heat can be useful for both cuttings
and seeds. Although it should be pointed out that not all seeds need a
high temperature. In some cases precisely the opposite. Capsicum seeds
don't necessarily need 70% to germinate. However in some areas - maybe
in some daylight zones in the US, it may be necessary to start capsicums
off early with artificial heat in order for the plants to achieve full
size in a single season. Something that doesn't apply in the UK.

michael adams

Old 12-02-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , michael adams
writes
Although it should be pointed out that not all seeds need a
high temperature. In some cases precisely the opposite.

Lettuce won't germinate over a certain temperature either

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 12-02-2006, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Cairns

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:50:19 -0000, "ajr" wrote:

Good evening,

I want to grow chillies from seed this year and the advice that I've got
back is to make sure that they get a good start by heating the soil to 70
degrees, using a heated propagator.

No idea on what make or model to buy - can anyone recommend a manufacturer?
I only want to grow a dozen or so plants so I assume a cheap and cheerful,
small propagator will be sufficient.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Andrew
I made my own in the corner of the greenhouse on my allotment by boxing a corner

of the greenhouse with wood spars and bubble film and under the bench
a twin burner parafin stove on the bench water proof trays with
capillary mating 1/4 seed trays a soil themometer and a fleece curtain
down th front. I am steady at 65f and tomato seedlings are now ready
to pot on, Kelsea onions were poted on last week.
Neil