Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Tihomir

Default What's this about 1st year it SLEEPS?????? (Seattle, USA, Zone 8a)

Well yes, it's probably both.

We had some very cold winters in Croatia in the couple of last years, and
extremly dry summers too. Also I moved, so there was a lot transplanting,
waiting in pots and so. On the other hand I didn't have time to help my
bamboos go through it properly. I have Ph. aureosulcata, Ph. vivax, Ph
nigra, Pl. chino, Pl. linearis, Pl. fortunei, Pseudosasa japonica, Fargesia
muriele, F. robusta, F rufa... (fargesias had too much sun, too)

This winter I protected them from cold, and now I live next to them so I'll
be able to water them in the summer. My hopes for the upcoming spring are
high, need I say?

"JimR" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tihomir wrote:
Well, lucky you.

I'm trying to grow bamboo for 5-6 years, and sometimes it seems to me
that
it gets smaller and smaller every year.

Very sad.

What are you growing and where are you doing it?

Chris
Chino, CA

Tihomir -- in my experience, the only two reasons that bamboo might not
grow a

(1) Wrong climate and/or location for a specific variety, or

(2) Letting young plants dry out.

In fact, one of my "Life Rules" is, "Never bet against bamboo growing."
Regards --