Old 06-02-2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
skwehe

Default composting leaves -- any to avoid?

It probably depends on the type of oak. My live oak has leaves that are
small, hard and glossy and they take time to break down. My Chiquapin and
Monterrey oaks have large glossy leaves that are more flexible and they
break down quite easily.
Same family, different characteristics...
susan
"Compostman" wrote in message
"Ann" wrote in message
"Compostman" expounded:

Why would a high in nitrogen oak leaf decompose slowly?

Because they almost seem a bit waxy, I guess. Maple leaves turn to
dust much quicker than oak leaves do, in my experience.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I've never seen oak leaves that were waxy. Mine compost very quickly. In
fact, they've turned to leaf mold sometimes when I've left them in a bag
for a few months. I love oak leaves in the compost. My problem,
sometimes with maple leaves is that they stick together.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7