Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default How old is this tree

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| When dating trees they use the combination patterns of narrow and thick
| rings which correspond to the different seasons (wet dry cold warm

years),
| they hold data bases for various tree types and the result is read much

like
| a bar code.
| they reckon to be pretty accurate. but I gather all you want is an
| approximate age so probably not worth paying from the former!

It's not quite that simple, but I think that they can date
suitable timber with precision to the year some millennia
back, and get to about a hundred millennia with some precision.
They do need to know where the timber came from to do that, as
the year pattern vries with location.

~~~~~~~~
By comparison with the data library the location can be identified.
The whole process is, as you suggest, very accurate.
Best Wishes Brian.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.