Old 05-02-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default How old is this tree

Rupert wrote:
[...]

Thanks Brian. I will be fascinated to see how this formula and some
of the others work when the branch is finally taken down.

By the way, a slice of tree photocopies very well. It makes a delightful
activity to do with childer. You let them handle the actual bit of wood,
of course, and dish out a copy for each child, or pair if you want
pair-work; explain the principles, and get them to label rings with
significant dates in their own lives. (I tried this out when
volunteering one afternoon a week in the village primary school, and it
went down a treat along with other treeish activities over a few weeks.
It's one of those things which actually does work smoothly with a
mixed-ability group, as children can match what they do to their own
abilities. You have extra things available for the fast workers, of
course.)

--
Mike.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Well, I suppose that you might not be aware that no tree growing in
the UK of 16' in diameter 4+' up will be less than about 200 years
old, but it is so. I thought that it was common knowledge.

The trees in my streets are around 200 years old. The yew next door is
however the smallest, but the oldest.

You might have more difficulty getting hold of a reliable, detailed
late 18th century map than you seem to think.

On the deed of my house there's trees marked clearly, but not all of
them. When my husband, when he was the planner officer for the area,
established our area as a conservation area, detailed records were made
which help everyone finding out the age of their trees when they need
it. I think it's a marvelous idea and should be done everywhere.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:

I meant 16' in circumference, of course.

I know )

I believe that there are
none 16' in diameter that are not seriously hollow, and they are
all close to or over a millennium old.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
[...]

[...]

Yes an excellent idea. Your message is responsible for taking me back
pushing 50 years. My school was suddenly blessed with a couple of new

trendy
teachers (maths and physics) who adopted a more practical approach to
learning.
What's the height, volume and mass of that tree? Pi became my best friend
and I guess it was that experience that blasted me into a science career.

~~~~~~~~~~
Rupert~~ The above arrived with an attachment which I have not opened.
It does not seem wise to do so with so many viruses around. I nearly got
caught with a phoney email supposedly from Tiscali~~ used their address but
was not from them!!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
[...]

[...]

Sorry about that-it's me--obviously got fat finger syndrome.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
[...]

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me too. Despite a botany degree I became head of science at one of the
larger schools.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Martin wrote:
On 5 Feb 2006 09:54:04 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

Just ask the bloody neighbours!!

LOL

One does, indeed, wonder as to the sort of neighbours that La Puce
has.

My mother had some beeches of that size cut down, as they were
getting dangerous, and they were known to be 200 years old.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks that seems to fit with other data.

When dating trees they use the combination patterns of narrow and thick
rings which correspond to the different seasons (wet dry cold warm years),
they hold data bases for various tree types and the result is read much like
a bar code.
they reckon to be pretty accurate. but I gather all you want is an
approximate age so probably not worth paying from the former!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-02-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Martin wrote:
[...]

Thanks Charlie--that may be of immediate use for someone else I know and
comes as a revelation to me .

Old 07-02-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| When dating trees they use the combination patterns of narrow and thick
| rings which correspond to the different seasons (wet dry cold warm years),
| they hold data bases for various tree types and the result is read much like
| a bar code.
| they reckon to be pretty accurate. but I gather all you want is an
| approximate age so probably not worth paying from the former!

It's not quite that simple, but I think that they can date
suitable timber with precision to the year some millennia
back, and get to about a hundred millennia with some precision.
They do need to know where the timber came from to do that, as
the year pattern vries with location.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| When dating trees they use the combination patterns of narrow and thick
| rings which correspond to the different seasons (wet dry cold warm

years),
| they hold data bases for various tree types and the result is read much

like
| a bar code.
| they reckon to be pretty accurate. but I gather all you want is an
| approximate age so probably not worth paying from the former!

It's not quite that simple, but I think that they can date
suitable timber with precision to the year some millennia
back, and get to about a hundred millennia with some precision.
They do need to know where the timber came from to do that, as
the year pattern vries with location.

~~~~~~~~
By comparison with the data library the location can be identified.
The whole process is, as you suggest, very accurate.
Best Wishes Brian.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

old pond, old pump Charlie Brown Ponds (alternative) 1 04-08-2006 08:19 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Old Trees and old news P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 17-12-2003 04:04 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM