Old 28-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Rotavators: any good experiences?

"Norman wrote in message
Every Spring I get a brochure for the Mantis Rotavator together with all

of
its bits and pieces - quite unsolicited (I must have ticked a box on
something years ago). It normally goes in the bin straight away. This

year,
I thought I would enquire if anyone has ever tried one of these beasts or
any other rotavator. I have always been a spade and fork man - grow all my
own veg., have an allotment and about a quarter acre garden. Now that I

am
coming up to 63 I thought I might explore further if rotavators are worth
their storage space let alone their costs.

Got two allotments (and since I was 35, arthritis of the lower spine) so
long hard digging has been a problem for many years especially as we garden
on Thames clay/silt. I couldn't garden so much land without one.
We bought a Honda F210 Rotovator years ago and it has been an excellent
investment, now on our second set of tines as the first lot almost wore away
due to the constant use.
Perennial weeds can be a problem; we have Mares Tails but a spade/fork
wouldn't get them out anyway, Couch can simply be dug out by hand or pulled
out of the soft earth when it shows, Buttercups likewise have to be dug out
by hand before rotovating as they come up from whatever depth, but on the
whole no worse a problem than hand digging and a lot quicker. Leaves a nice
tilth too compared to the huge lumps hand digging produces (on our clay).
I've heard it said that they cause panning but it isn't a problem because
you break through any (if it actually happens?) when you dig your spuds,
parsnips etc on a rotational basis.
It also means you can hand dig just a bit each year if the mood takes you
but still garden on the whole.
However, whilst much quicker, it is hard work and will certainly give your
upper arm and shoulders a good workout.
Try hiring one a few times before you take the plunge, it takes some
practice to master them, and they aren't cheap.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.