Old 28-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Al Rhodes

Default Rotavators: any good experiences?

I work an allotment with heavy clay, and find that they are no substitute
for winter digging,as
they don't go deep enough.But they are invaluable in spring , in order to
break up the ground
to get ready for sowing and planting.
"Norman Sandland" wrote in message
Every Spring I get a brochure for the Mantis Rotavator together with all

of
its bits and pieces - quite unsolicited (I must have ticked a box on
something years ago). It normally goes in the bin straight away. This

year,
I thought I would enquire if anyone has ever tried one of these beasts or
any other rotavator. I have always been a spade and fork man - grow all my
own veg., have an allotment and about a quarter acre garden. Now that I

am
coming up to 63 I thought I might explore further if rotavators are worth
their storage space let alone their costs.

The Mantis is light at 20lbs. Whilst it lightness is an advantage from the
point of view of carrying it, how is it heavy enough to dig in to produce

ten inch tilth. It also rotates at a high speed - twice as high as other
rotavators. I have always thought that these things chop the perennial

weeds
up so that you multiply the number of weeds that regrow!

Anyone with advice on this and other rotavators would be welcome to

express
a view.

Regards Norman