Old 09-02-2006, 04:30 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Heirloom tomatoes

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:55:30 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Jangchub typed:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 14:32:44 GMT, Buck and Di
wrote:

I am planning on trying heirloom tomatoes for the first time this
year. What are your favorites? Which varieties do well in Texas
heat?

Diane

Certainly any of the cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes.

Several people have recommended Brandywine to me, but I haven't tried it
yet. Got seeds, though!

Cindy

Brandywine are very good fall tomatoes, but there isn't enough time
for them in spring unless you are ready to really fuss over them
daily. Most of the potato leafed varieties of tomatoes do not like
our hot nights...at least I find. Certainly do try them. Your seeds
should be planted and started now if you want to get fruit before it
gets too hot.