Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM posted to austin.gardening
Buck and Di

Default Heirloom tomatoes

I am planning on trying heirloom tomatoes for the first time this year.
What are your favorites? Which varieties do well in Texas heat?

Diane
Old 08-02-2006, 02:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 14:32:44 GMT, Buck and Di
wrote:

I am planning on trying heirloom tomatoes for the first time this year.
What are your favorites? Which varieties do well in Texas heat?

Diane

Certainly any of the cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:55 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub typed:
wrote:

I am planning on trying heirloom tomatoes for the first time this
year. What are your favorites? Which varieties do well in Texas
heat?

Diane

Certainly any of the cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes.

Several people have recommended Brandywine to me, but I haven't tried it
yet. Got seeds, though!

Cindy

Old 09-02-2006, 04:30 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Jangchub typed:
wrote:

I am planning on trying heirloom tomatoes for the first time this
year. What are your favorites? Which varieties do well in Texas
heat?

Diane

Certainly any of the cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes.

Several people have recommended Brandywine to me, but I haven't tried it
yet. Got seeds, though!

Cindy

Brandywine are very good fall tomatoes, but there isn't enough time
for them in spring unless you are ready to really fuss over them
daily. Most of the potato leafed varieties of tomatoes do not like
our hot nights...at least I find. Certainly do try them. Your seeds
should be planted and started now if you want to get fruit before it
gets too hot.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"Cindy" wrote in message
Several people have recommended Brandywine to me, but I haven't tried it
yet. Got seeds, though!

Cindy

Cindy, I'll be trying several heirlooms this year (in San Antonio) that I
haven't tried before, including two types of Brandywines. And here's a
tomato I couldn't resist trying, even though it's a hybrid. I found it in
the Mid-Season section of tomatogrowers.com:

"Solar Set VFF Hybrid #3567 (30 seeds) $2.95
A heat-tolerant variety developed by the University of Florida. Sets fruit
well even in high temperatures (92 degree day; 72 degree night) and high
humidity. Because there is such good set, plants yield very large amounts of
fruit. Bright red tomatoes are 8 to 9 ozs. with a delicious, full tomato
flavor. Great for a fall crop in areas where weather permits. Determinate.
70 days."

David

Old 09-02-2006, 05:20 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Cindy, I'll be trying several heirlooms this year (in San Antonio)
that I haven't tried before, including two types of Brandywines.
And here's a tomato I couldn't resist trying, even though it's a
hybrid. I found it in the Mid-Season section of tomatogrowers.com:

"Solar Set VFF Hybrid #3567 (30 seeds) $2.95
A heat-tolerant variety developed by the University of Florida.
Sets fruit well even in high temperatures (92 degree day; 72 degree
night) and high humidity. Because there is such good set, plants
yield very large amounts of fruit. Bright red tomatoes are 8 to 9
ozs. with a delicious, full tomato flavor. Great for a fall crop in
areas where weather permits. Determinate. 70 days."

David

I have two types also. Yellow and purple, I think.
Solar Set sounds interesting! Let us know how it does.

Cindy

Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 AM posted to austin.gardening
harriswest

"Solar Set VFF Hybrid #3567 (30 seeds) $2.95
A heat-tolerant variety developed by the University of Florida. Sets fruit
well even in high temperatures (92 degree day; 72 degree night) and high
humidity. Because there is such good set, plants yield very large amounts of
fruit. Bright red tomatoes are 8 to 9 ozs. with a delicious, full tomato
flavor. Great for a fall crop in areas where weather permits. Determinate.
70 days."

David

David,

My experience with solar set is that it doesn't taste very good - wet
cardboard - nor is it terribly prolific during the worst of the heat
despite the claims - maybe a good thing considering its flavor G!

YMMV and maybe they've improved the hybrid; good luck and let us know.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX
Old 10-02-2006, 07:36 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"harriswest" wrote in message

David,

My experience with solar set is that it doesn't taste very good - wet
cardboard - nor is it terribly prolific during the worst of the heat
despite the claims - maybe a good thing considering its flavor G!

YMMV and maybe they've improved the hybrid; good luck and let us know.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Thanks, Mike. I'll be trying about ten tomatoes I know nothing about (as
well as a few I do), and intend to keep good records. Maybe this will be one
of those "negative results are just as good as positive" summers.

David

heirloom tomatoes in Georgetown Texas and bhn 444 Texaslights Texas 1 28-09-2005 02:44 AM
Heirloom tomatoes. RR Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2005 01:05 PM
Heirloom tomatoes Melba's Jammin' Edible Gardening 5 15-08-2005 06:08 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 21 24-02-2004 06:11 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 0 21-02-2004 02:27 PM