Old 01-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Jim Allan

Default Rotavators: any good experiences?

The Mantis is light at 20lbs. Whilst it lightness is an advantage from the
point of view of carrying it, how is it heavy enough to dig in to produce a
ten inch tilth. It also rotates at a high speed - twice as high as other
rotavators. I have always thought that these things chop the perennial weeds
up so that you multiply the number of weeds that regrow!

Anyone with advice on this and other rotavators would be welcome to express
a view.

Norman,

I've had a Mantis for 6 years and use it mainly to cultivate my 16 yds x
10 yds veg plot. It's no use for breaking-in new ground, e.g. from a
lawn, however it is ideal for rotovating ground which was cultivated the
previous year. I use it to incorporate farmyard manure or compost
previously spread on the surface. It does dig in and produce a ten inch
tilth however ground conditions must be right to achieve this, i.e.
fairly dry. I've also found it useful when preparing large planting
holes for trees and shrubs.

I also have the hedgetrimmer and lawn scarifier attachments. I have
given up using the former as it proved to be too heavy and unbalanced
for my arthritic hands and back, although it did the job most
efficiently. The scarifier works well, although you have to get used to
the usual way of operating a Mantis by pulling it backwards.

Starting the machine was sometimes a problem until I learned the secret
- from cold, press the primer bulb at least 20 times then use full choke
and full throttle. Since then mine has never failed to start first or
second pull.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
--