Old 09-02-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Default Mission Fig Roots

We don't grow Mission figs in the South (US). They're mostly grown in
California. Our Brown Turkeys do grow about the same size, to 20' tall by
30' wide with 1'+ diameter trunks. Their roots are powerful and placing them
2' from concrete is asking for trouble. I would recommend a minimum of
8-10'. That's not to mention the mess any falling fruit would make on the
patio once the limbs overgow it.. Trimming the limbs back to keep them off
the patio is an excercise in futility.
Gary

"Benedict G Archer" wrote in message
. com...
Just found this group--great; I'll be a constant lurker. Recently moved
to new place and must replace very old shrubs etc. with productive,
attractive things--productive first. Immediate question prompted by
experiences at former house where roots from trees (ornamentals planted
before our time there) wrecked walkways and terracing walls. We've just
put in 18 fruit trees in accessible places on our 1/3 acre and cleared
about 1200 sq ft for the annual veggies. We now want to plant a Mission
Fig about two feet from the edge of an existing concrete patio, but are
concerned that roots may eventually raise or crack the patio. (We
probably won't live that long, but it's a concern anyway.) Anybody have
any knowledge or anecdotal experience, i.e., have or have seen a mature
Mission Fig near a walkway, sidewalk, patio, driveway etc., and noted
whether the roots disturbed the adjacent "pavement?"

Thanks,
Ben Archer