Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Alison

Default greenhouse for a very windy spot?

"Keith Pritchard" wrote in message
We live in extremely exposed coastal position where winds get up to 60+mph
on occasions.

We would like to erect a greenhouse sized approximately 8ft x 10ft!

Most of the bad weather i.e. strong gusting winds, come from the south

west.
Fortunately the garden is completely sheltered from that side - but almost
totally open from the east, with a stone wall about four feet high, about
three open paddocks and then a drop down over the cliff! The north and
south sides of the garden have shelter some within about 50ft in each
direction.

Is there any greenhouse on the market designed to withstand high wind

(when
the door and vents are all fully closed)? The Robinson Riviera is

promoted
as being 'built to promote the toughest weather conditions... and is
apparently 'constructed with significantly more aluminium than most other
greenhouses of a comparable size'. Is this likely to be of any use

here...?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Keith

Hi Keith

We live in an exposed area too though inland but with no windbreak on the
prevailing SW side (greenhouse site) so wind tolerance was a strong factor
in our decision making process.

Last year we were considering a Robinson's after much research and
contacted, amongst others, a super company called The Incredibly Sensible
Greenhouse Company (bit of a mouthful but does exactly what it says on the
tin!). In the end we went for a 'special' that Bill, the owner, has
modified from an Elite Belmont - known as a Maxi. He took all the best
things about Robinson's (which he highly recommends too) and zooped up the
Belmont to withstand the worst that the weather could throw at it.
Basically you can have more greenhouse for your money but with no compromise
(we feel) on quality other than whisper closing doors and draught excluders
on the roof vents. This compromise gave us loads of extra bracing, 4mm
toughened glass, extra vents, hanging basket rail which doubles as length
bracing and an extruded shelf doubling as end bracing. So far it has
withstood 48mph winds without flinching - its an 8ft x 16ft.

No I don't work for them! I was just very impressed with their prompt
replies and no nonsense advice. They stock lots of makes and models so
they're quite unbiased - it was almost an afterthought that Bill mentioned
the Maxi. You can find them at:
http://www.isgreenhouses.co.uk/index.html

Good luck

--A