Old 04-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Wierd Looking Plants

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains these words:

I've got an area around my children's play area which is currently planted
with rather boring shrubs. I'd like to replace with a variety of bizarre
looking plants to make it more interesting. Any recommendations for suitable
shrubs/flowers? The wierder the better. They'll need to be tough enough to
withstand being occasionally trodden on etc. Also obviously nothing
dangerous in terms of poison or thorns.

How about crooked plants? There's a curly grass and a spiral sedge;
and the contorted hazel and willow. Children might enjoy plants with
woolly leaves to stroke (stachys lanata or "lambs' lugs) or highly
scented ones to pinch (rosemary, mint, chamomile).

Janet.