Old 05-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Neil Trotter

Default Can I chop height off: (1) gum tree (2) leylandii

In article , Rosie said:

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

Hi Rosie,

My neighbour's eucalyptus was cropped from around 60' to 30' early last
year, and it seems to be growing upwards just fine (about 2-3' so far).

The tree-surgeon was no artist though, and gave the poor thing a bit of
a "flat-top" effect. Seems a shame, I kind of liked it when it was
taller, though with the winds we get up here (100' AMSL -- and that's a
mountain by Essex standards), it used to bend over a little in the
breeze, so I can understand it was making them a little nervous.

Best wishes,

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK