Old 07-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] A new translation????

Hi Jim,

In my kanji books, "sai" is defined as "to plant." I'm referring to the
specific character used in the term "bonsai" and not just any old "sai."
The odd translation in the new (and pretty darn good) Sunset Bonsai book is
probably due to a bit of embellishment. Who knows why.... In strict, even
general terms, this is an inaccurate translation. Doesn't matter much, I
guess, since it's not a matter of substance. Have 5 people EVER agreed what
"bonsai" is? ;-)

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas