Old 07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] A new translation????

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Rutledge"
Subject: [IBC] A new translation????

Hi Jim,

In my kanji books, "sai" is defined as "to plant." I'm referring to the
specific character used in the term "bonsai" and not just any old "sai."
Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

Since we are talking about translations...
My kanji book lists "En" for garden AND "Tei" for garden. " The Journal of
Japanese Gardening" publication is written by Roth who signs himself as
"Roth Tei-En". I asked Peter A. about this and he really couldn't answer.
What is the difference in the two words. Commonly we see "En" as a garden,
especially in bonsai gardens, ads, business names,etc. Is it possible that
"Tei-en" combined means "Gardener"? but, I don't really get that from the
book translations. Eh?
I'm losing sleep over this! :)

For those who have never read through one of these kanji writing
manuals....wow...how complicated! BTW, There are some GREAT ones at Borders
for the $20-25 range and some MUCH more. I got the Tuttle version, admitedly
because of the price and that it had the NICEST large brush stroke-looking
letters.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++