Old 12-02-2006, 12:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Default Can any one identify this plant

Jonno writes:
John Savage wrote:
We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible

Squash one and you'll see dozens of tiny seeds.

My guess is that the seeds are spread underfoot after you've trodden
on a fallen berry. Let me know if you see anything eating the berry
or the leaves. Nothing seems to touch them here.

It is an attractive little plant, bright orange fruit set against dark
foliage, but in the interests of the environment just make sure you don't
spread the seeds into bushland.