Old 08-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Sampson

Default what to do with fungal potting mix

Salty Thumb of Death wrote in
:

Hello everybody,

I recently decided to try my hand at growing tomatos from seed. Being
rather incompetent at such, I had my first two trays damp-off on me.
(Probably because I decided to dump half the Indian Ocean on the
seedlings). Anyway, I read up on the preventitive measures (don't
water too much, don't over nitrogenate, use chamomile tea, spaghnum
moss or garlic spray).

My question is, what do I do with the contaminated seed starter mix?
Can I dump boiling water on it and compost it? There's another
thread going on that says phytophthera is "virtually impossible to
erradicate" (hi pam). Of course, I don't know if it's phytophthera or
something else that causes damping off. What should I do with the
contaminated soil/starter mix? I'm interested in the organic
solutions.

If in doubt, just throw it out. New medium is better. But, I would think
fractional sterilization would work. (google it)