Old 06-03-2003, 02:15 AM
Salty Thumb of Death

Default what to do with fungal potting mix

Hello everybody,

I recently decided to try my hand at growing tomatos from seed. Being
rather incompetent at such, I had my first two trays damp-off on me.
(Probably because I decided to dump half the Indian Ocean on the
seedlings). Anyway, I read up on the preventitive measures (don't water
too much, don't over nitrogenate, use chamomile tea, spaghnum moss or
garlic spray).

My question is, what do I do with the contaminated seed starter mix? Can I
dump boiling water on it and compost it? There's another thread going on
that says phytophthera is "virtually impossible to erradicate" (hi pam).
Of course, I don't know if it's phytophthera or something else that causes
damping off. What should I do with the contaminated soil/starter mix? I'm
interested in the organic solutions.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Pam

Salty Thumb of Death wrote:

Hello everybody,

I recently decided to try my hand at growing tomatos from seed. Being
rather incompetent at such, I had my first two trays damp-off on me.
(Probably because I decided to dump half the Indian Ocean on the
seedlings). Anyway, I read up on the preventitive measures (don't water
too much, don't over nitrogenate, use chamomile tea, spaghnum moss or
garlic spray).

My question is, what do I do with the contaminated seed starter mix? Can I
dump boiling water on it and compost it? There's another thread going on
that says phytophthera is "virtually impossible to erradicate" (hi pam).
Of course, I don't know if it's phytophthera or something else that causes
damping off. What should I do with the contaminated soil/starter mix? I'm
interested in the organic solutions.

There are four different genera of fungi typically associated with damping-off,
but it is unlikely it is Phytophthora. Mostly it is Pythium and Fusarium, as
they tend to be most readily carried by peat moss, which is a major component
of most 'sterile' potting mixes. Start over with clean potting medium (you can
safely compost the old) - it's not a guarantee, but cetainly better than
re-using the old. And it may not be the soil - many seeds are already
contaminated with fungal spores. Apparently there is some success in using
cinnamon to prevent damping off. Don't know the details, but a search will turn
up info.

pam - gardengal

Old 08-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Sampson

Salty Thumb of Death wrote in
:

Hello everybody,

I recently decided to try my hand at growing tomatos from seed. Being
rather incompetent at such, I had my first two trays damp-off on me.
(Probably because I decided to dump half the Indian Ocean on the
seedlings). Anyway, I read up on the preventitive measures (don't
water too much, don't over nitrogenate, use chamomile tea, spaghnum
moss or garlic spray).

My question is, what do I do with the contaminated seed starter mix?
Can I dump boiling water on it and compost it? There's another
thread going on that says phytophthera is "virtually impossible to
erradicate" (hi pam). Of course, I don't know if it's phytophthera or
something else that causes damping off. What should I do with the
contaminated soil/starter mix? I'm interested in the organic
solutions.

If in doubt, just throw it out. New medium is better. But, I would think
fractional sterilization would work. (google it)
Old 08-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Beecrofter

Toss it in the compost pile
Damping off and other fungi that destroy seedlings are endemic.
If you provide the conditions they will grow.
Bottom water, provide good airflow, sprinkle dry warm sand on the flat surface.