Old 08-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Rick DeBay

Default Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida

In article , hermine says...

On 6 Mar 2003 11:52:42 -0800, Rick DeBay
wrote:

I have a Japanese rock garden that is backed by a small bamboo in a buried pot.
The landscaper keeps putting in the same variety which obviously isn't shade
tolerant. What variety should I plant for south Florida? BTW, it should also
be drought resistant, able to survive (doesn't have to look good) on under an
inch of water applied once a week (south Florida stage 3 drought restriction).

Thanks, Rick DeBay

On 6 Mar 2003 11:52:42 -0800, in rec.gardens.bamboo you wrote:

I am sorry to say that unless you can create a very well shaded and
moist microclimate and substantial water to the soil, you probably
will not be able to grow most attractive Bamboos in your location.
there really are NO draught-resisant bamboos. perhaps you could
somehow satisfy the need for bamboo with something in a container,
which you keep in a saucer filled with a standing inch or two of
water. in the shade.

I hope there are bamboo that can withstand drought, as I'm purchasing a bunch of
Bambusa lako RSN.
A landscape architect suggested growing papyrus to replace the rock garden
bamboo. As long as the ghost of Morikami-san doesn't complain it may be a
viable alternative.

Rick