Old 12-02-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

Default Google Changed

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
.. .
Chuckie wrote:
What do you mean by a newsreader?

A program that connects to a news server and presents the posts for every
group that you select. I'm using Thunderbird (part of the Mozilla suite -
look for it on mozilla.org.) There are others, such a Forte. Google on
"news reader software", and you will find a large number of programs. All
provide some means of setting filters to block posts that you don't want.

If you have a Windows machine, you probably got Outlook Express for free,
which has a newsreader. Many people dis OE, but I suspect a lot of it is
because it is a Microsoft product. OE works just fine. Your ISP will
probably have a webpage on how to set up your newsreader. OE is used by
many, so they'll show how to configure it for your service, along with
Thunderbird and other common newsreaders.

My ISP is Earthlink, and they carry any newsgroup I'd care to read. If your
ISP doesn't provide newsgroups (I wouldn't pay for one that didn't, but I
use Usenet daily), then you can pay individual.de (see:
http://news.individual.net/) 10 euros/year for the service, which is a
pretty darn good deal.

--
Warm Regards,