Old 10-02-2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Default Google Changed

Google Groups changed over night I don't know if I like it yet; what
does eveyone else think?
Chuckie

Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca

Chuckie wrote:
Google Groups changed over night I don't know if I like it yet; what
does eveyone else think?
Chuckie

Yes, surprise, surprise!
The "profile" thing will of course, only be of interest if people
decide to
provide their information. Will it be correct info--who knows???
I can't see any reason for rating a post with stars.......
Will just have to wait and see

Emilie

Old 11-02-2006, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

It looks sort of like yahoo groups

Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com
Google Groups changed over night I don't know if I like it yet;
what
does eveyone else think?
Chuckie

I prefer my newsgroups via usenet.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com
Google Groups changed over night I don't know if I like it yet; what does
eveyone else think?

I prefer my newsgroups via usenet.

Or rather, I prefer my newsgroups via a newsreader. Every time I've been
stuck with google groups, it has gotten tiresome fast.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
See the books I've set free at:

Old 11-02-2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

What do you mean by a newsreader?

Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Chuckie wrote:
What do you mean by a newsreader?

A program that connects to a news server and presents the posts for
every group that you select. I'm using Thunderbird (part of the Mozilla
suite - look for it on mozilla.org.) There are others, such a Forte.
Google on "news reader software", and you will find a large number of
programs. All provide some means of setting filters to block posts that
you don't want.

ISPs differ in the number of newsgroups they carry, since providing the
service requires lots of disk space. A good ISP will carry roughly
20,000 newsgroups.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
.. .
Chuckie wrote:
What do you mean by a newsreader?

A program that connects to a news server and presents the posts for every
group that you select. I'm using Thunderbird (part of the Mozilla suite -
look for it on mozilla.org.) There are others, such a Forte. Google on
"news reader software", and you will find a large number of programs. All
provide some means of setting filters to block posts that you don't want.

If you have a Windows machine, you probably got Outlook Express for free,
which has a newsreader. Many people dis OE, but I suspect a lot of it is
because it is a Microsoft product. OE works just fine. Your ISP will
probably have a webpage on how to set up your newsreader. OE is used by
many, so they'll show how to configure it for your service, along with
Thunderbird and other common newsreaders.

My ISP is Earthlink, and they carry any newsgroup I'd care to read. If your
ISP doesn't provide newsgroups (I wouldn't pay for one that didn't, but I
use Usenet daily), then you can pay individual.de (see:
http://news.individual.net/) 10 euros/year for the service, which is a
pretty darn good deal.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

I don't use googlegroups, but I do use and even run some yahoogroups and
ones on other list servers and there's a lot that gets posted that you'd
never find on a newsgroup. They both have their own place in the online
world.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

"Travis M." wrote in message
> [...]
oups.com

Old 12-02-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Chuckie wrote:
What do you mean by a newsreader?

A program that connects to a news server and presents the posts for every
group that you select. I'm using Thunderbird (part of the Mozilla suite -
look for it on mozilla.org.) There are others, such a Forte. Google on
"news reader software", and you will find a large number of programs. All
provide some means of setting filters to block posts that you don't want.

If you have a Windows machine, you probably got Outlook Express for free,
which has a newsreader. Many people dis OE, but I suspect a lot of it is
because it is a Microsoft product. OE works just fine. Your ISP will
probably have a webpage on how to set up your newsreader. OE is used by
many, so they'll show how to configure it for your service, along with
Thunderbird and other common newsreaders.

Yes, OE and IE do work well, but if you use any MS 'net software, you
should learn about how to improve security: do not rely on MS's
anti-virus or anti-spyware products, they are _not_ good enough. A
healthy dose of paranoia doesn't hurt either! :-)

And Windows and MS software aren't "free", they're just included in the
price of the machine. Your computer would cost about $100 to $150 less
without any operating system on it.

My ISP is Earthlink, and they carry any newsgroup I'd care to read. If your
ISP doesn't provide newsgroups (I wouldn't pay for one that didn't, but I
use Usenet daily), then you can pay individual.de (see:
http://news.individual.net/) 10 euros/year for the service, which is a
pretty darn good deal.

Useful info, thanks.