Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Default Prevention of "rust" and "black spot" in rose bushes ?

Uncle-C wrote:
Hi folks, an old chesnut no doubt, but i suffered terribly from "black
spot" last year and although I got a reasonable bloom of roses the
leaves look seriously ill. This time I am going for prevention and
early supression. I've read about various antidotes but which have
been the most successful ? I thought if I tackled the problem within
the next 4-6 weeks I may not suffer from the same malaise I did last
year. I regulaly endeavoured to remove any fallen and affected leaves
which showd signs of the fungus but no doubt there are still spores
on the ground nr the base of the rose bush. I would rather avoid the
use of nasty chemicals if possible !!!!!

water the ground with an armillatox solution - not as an antifungal, you
underatand, just using the armillatox as a soap to keep the soil clean
{sorry, in joke, feel free to ignore....} - armillatox is a mix of natrual
oils and not a nasty chemical btw!

If the top growth is dormant, you can also spray there as well.

pk