Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default disappointing garden turf

Emma T wrote:
At the end of last October we employed a gardener to returf our front
and back gardens. Some of the turf hasn't 'taken' (ie it isn't rooted
and looks dead) - particularly around the edges. Others parts of the
lawn are bare and muddy. We have stayed off the lawn as much as
possible but you only have to walk across it to leave big, muddy
impressions.

Does this sound normal? Should it 'come back' in the spring when the
grass really starts growing again? Should we get the gardner round to
take a look?

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

I have had turf laid three times, every time it has been A1, were you
given instructions to keep well watered until rooted and did you do
that? Too late now perhaps, but to check if rooted simply gently lift
an edge. My only complaint is that the turf is grown on a plastic mesh,
presumably to aid cutting and laying. When you need to trim the turf
the blasted stuff gets everywhere.