Old 12-02-2006, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emma T

Default disappointing garden turf

At the end of last October we employed a gardener to returf our front
and back gardens. Some of the turf hasn't 'taken' (ie it isn't rooted
and looks dead) - particularly around the edges. Others parts of the
lawn are bare and muddy. We have stayed off the lawn as much as
possible but you only have to walk across it to leave big, muddy
impressions.

Does this sound normal? Should it 'come back' in the spring when the
grass really starts growing again? Should we get the gardner round to
take a look?

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Emma T wrote:
At the end of last October we employed a gardener to returf our front
and back gardens. Some of the turf hasn't 'taken' (ie it isn't rooted
and looks dead) - particularly around the edges. Others parts of the
lawn are bare and muddy. We have stayed off the lawn as much as
possible but you only have to walk across it to leave big, muddy
impressions.

Does this sound normal? Should it 'come back' in the spring when the
grass really starts growing again? Should we get the gardner round to
take a look?

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

I have had turf laid three times, every time it has been A1, were you
given instructions to keep well watered until rooted and did you do
that? Too late now perhaps, but to check if rooted simply gently lift
an edge. My only complaint is that the turf is grown on a plastic mesh,
presumably to aid cutting and laying. When you need to trim the turf
the blasted stuff gets everywhere.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emma T

Yes we watered it as instructed for the first two weeks but then it has
rained on and off for most of the winter so we haven't touched it. Our
garden doesn't get direct sunlight in the winter but even so I wouldn't
have expected it to have taken so poorly.

Old 13-02-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Emma T" wrote in message
oups.com...
At the end of last October we employed a gardener to returf our
front
and back gardens. Some of the turf hasn't 'taken' (ie it isn't
rooted
and looks dead) - particularly around the edges. Others parts of the
lawn are bare and muddy. We have stayed off the lawn as much as
possible but you only have to walk across it to leave big, muddy
impressions.

Does this sound normal? Should it 'come back' in the spring when the
grass really starts growing again? Should we get the gardner round
take a look?

This sounds typical of bad/no soil preparation prior to laying the
turf. Could you tell us something of the 'gardener' who laid the turf
and run us through what he did prior to laying the turf? At a first
guess it sounds like a cheap nasty job or a rip-off, could even be
both ;~{

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 14-02-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gwynedd Lawn Doctor

Im afraid it sounds to me as poor preparation of the soil or the turf used
has bean grown on heavy soil causing surface capping or both . Do you get
rainwater laying on the turf after rainfall which is unable to drain
through? My tip is get all lawn checked by a qualified turf expert. Sounds
like a poor job to me.
Good luck.

Steve
Gwynedd Lawn Doctor

oups.com...

Old 15-02-2006, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emma T

Thanks for the replies. The guy who did it seemed okay to me at the
time - perhaps he was. he removed the old grass, (I think) he rotavated
it and then laid the new turf. I will check to see if there is
rainwater that it unable to drain - it certainly seems quite wet most
of the time. I suppose I should phone him and see if he will come and
have another look!

Emma

Old 16-02-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emma T

Yes - I just phoned him and he is coming round this weekend.

Emma