Old 13-02-2006, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default Ashes to Ashes

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Steve Newport
writes

I have a new brasier (spelling?) and have used it a lot. Now its over
half full of ash.

Is it safe to dump this, and dig it into the vegtable plot?

Depends what you've been burning. If you've been burning wood treated
with, for example, Chromated Copper Arsenate (Tanalith) added the ash to
a vegetable plot would probably not be a good idea.

I wouldn't dump CCA doped wood ash. And I would preferentially use wood
ash under fruit trees and bushes before the veg plot anyway. However,
onions seem to like the charcoal for drainage and a bit of wood ash.

Never noticed it make much of difference to other veg.

Regards,
Martin Brown