Old 13-02-2006, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Another probably daft question: what can I grow under raspberries?

In article .com,
wrote:
I have a new bed in my garden and I put in some raspberry canes. I'm
wondering if I can grow much under them, for ground cover?

Ideally I'd love to grow some veg, but I realise this may not be
possible. My mother suggested alpine strawberries - which I think will
be OK in some shade, but alpine strawberries are her answer to
everything, and if she had her way the whole garden would be covered in
them.

Could I grow anything shade-loving and small? Or will some things not
thrive and/or take away too much from the raspberries?

You could grow several of the less demanding herbs - parsley, rocket
(which is what I would recommend), thyme etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.