Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another probably daft question: what can I grow under raspberries?

I have a new bed in my garden and I put in some raspberry canes. I'm
wondering if I can grow much under them, for ground cover?

Ideally I'd love to grow some veg, but I realise this may not be
possible. My mother suggested alpine strawberries - which I think will
be OK in some shade, but alpine strawberries are her answer to
everything, and if she had her way the whole garden would be covered in
them.

Could I grow anything shade-loving and small? Or will some things not
thrive and/or take away too much from the raspberries?

thanks

Katie

Old 13-02-2006, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from " contains these words:

I have a new bed in my garden and I put in some raspberry canes. I'm
wondering if I can grow much under them, for ground cover?

Ideally I'd love to grow some veg, but I realise this may not be
possible. My mother suggested alpine strawberries - which I think will
be OK in some shade, but alpine strawberries are her answer to
everything, and if she had her way the whole garden would be covered in
them.

I'm in luuuuurve!

Could I grow anything shade-loving and small? Or will some things not
thrive and/or take away too much from the raspberries?

Of course, ordinary strawberries should do quite well - the bottoms of
the canes aren't exactly densely foliated.

The trouble is, raspberry roots are very shallow, which cuts out a lot
of stuff.

You could try French beans...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-02-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:

You could grow several of the less demanding herbs - parsley, rocket
(which is what I would recommend), thyme etc.

Rocket! I was going to grow some rocket in containers, it would be very
nice to be able to grow it in a bed... (I only have two).

Thanks all - I may try some regular strawberries too...

Old 13-02-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Steve Harris wrote:
In article .com,
() wrote:

I have a new bed in my garden and I put in some raspberry canes. I'm
wondering if I can grow much under them, for ground cover?

I have *Ivy* trying to invade my Raspberry patch and not doing very
well!

Ivy likes quite a lot of water compared to rocket. As the problem
will be shortage of water in summer, the latter is more likely to
do well. All right, that probably means that parsley wouldn't do
well, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.