Old 13-02-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default moisture retention

Phil L wrote:
I've got some seeds started off and want to know how to retain
moisture? - I do have a few of those propogator lids (clear perspex,
about 6 inches tall) and they work fine, but I want something to
cover the rest....I've tried clingfilm etc but once the seedlings are
an inch tall they hit the top, the seed trays are on window sills
near radiators and tend to dry out very quickly.

Is there any way I can avoid spending any money?

Small plastic bags over the tops of the pots: sometimes you don't even
need to hold them on with the rubber bands you pick up after the
postman's been. Ends cut off plastic bottles. Jam jars. Bigger plastic
bag with the whole tray inside: bits of wire, bent sticks or something
to hold it up above the seedlings.

--
Mike.