Old 13-02-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default moisture retention

I've got some seeds started off and want to know how to retain moisture? - I
do have a few of those propogator lids (clear perspex, about 6 inches tall)
and they work fine, but I want something to cover the rest....I've tried
clingfilm etc but once the seedlings are an inch tall they hit the top, the
seed trays are on window sills near radiators and tend to dry out very
quickly.

Is there any way I can avoid spending any money?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 13-02-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
I've got some seeds started off and want to know how to retain
moisture? - I do have a few of those propogator lids (clear perspex,
about 6 inches tall) and they work fine, but I want something to
cover the rest....I've tried clingfilm etc but once the seedlings are
an inch tall they hit the top, the seed trays are on window sills
near radiators and tend to dry out very quickly.

Is there any way I can avoid spending any money?

Small plastic bags over the tops of the pots: sometimes you don't even
need to hold them on with the rubber bands you pick up after the
postman's been. Ends cut off plastic bottles. Jam jars. Bigger plastic
bag with the whole tray inside: bits of wire, bent sticks or something
to hold it up above the seedlings.

--
Mike.

Old 14-02-2006, 02:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Lots of supermarket fruit and veg come in clear plastic containers
which you can use as a lid. Or, cut the bottom off clear plastic drinks
bottles.

Or cut them in half vertically and lay them down for mini-greenhouses.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 14-02-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Phil L wrote:
I've got some seeds started off and want to know how to retain moisture? - I
do have a few of those propogator lids (clear perspex, about 6 inches tall)
and they work fine, but I want something to cover the rest....I've tried
clingfilm etc but once the seedlings are an inch tall they hit the top, the
seed trays are on window sills near radiators and tend to dry out very
quickly.
Is there any way I can avoid spending any money?

I know you don't want to spend money, but the last 3/4 years I've
started to use vermiculite mixed with my compost for sowing my seeds.
I've found the moisture stays so much more longer and the plants really
benefits from it.

Also like you I use any clear bags I have, but I prop the bag up by
planting at each corners of my pots/trays 15cm sticks to keep the bag
up so that the seedlings don't knock their heads on the bag. Last
night, I've sown my hollyhocks (I know it's early but I it works for
me) and covered them with a brioche plastic bag )

Old 14-02-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L writes
I've got some seeds started off and want to know how to retain moisture? - I
do have a few of those propogator lids (clear perspex, about 6 inches tall)
and they work fine, but I want something to cover the rest....I've tried
clingfilm etc but once the seedlings are an inch tall they hit the top, the
seed trays are on window sills near radiators and tend to dry out very
quickly.

Is there any way I can avoid spending any money?

Stand the pot or tray in a large plastic bag and tie it at the top. That
usually gives it enough rigidity to stand up in a tent shape. If not,
you can use a stick to prop it up. It's best to use several smaller pots
and trays - easier to get the plastic bags, easier to get them to stand
up.

And of course look out for clear plastic packaging - it's best to have
one lid per tray, but if you're stuck, then a mosaic of smaller lids is
better than nothing.
--
Kay

Old 15-02-2006, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Lots of supermarket fruit and veg come in clear plastic containers
which you can use as a lid. Or, cut the bottom off clear plastic drinks
bottles.

Or cut them in half vertically and lay them down for mini-greenhouses.

ooooh, lateral thinking!

Half-screwing the lids on is a promble, thobut.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-02-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
I've got some seeds started off and want to know how to retain
moisture? - I do have a few of those propogator lids (clear perspex,
about 6 inches tall) and they work fine, but I want something to
cover the rest....I've tried clingfilm etc but once the seedlings are
an inch tall they hit the top, the seed trays are on window sills
near radiators and tend to dry out very quickly.

Is there any way I can avoid spending any money?

Thanks all, plastic bottles and fruit trays it is.