Old 15-02-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default First primroses...

....saw them today on our way back from some shopping at Riverford Farm.
These seems to be the earliest primroses in our area, every year. They're
at the foot of a steep drive to a house situated at the bottom of a very
narrow lane. So - they're well drained and thanks to the surrounding trees,
pretty well sheltered, too. The banks and hedges are still alive with
snowdrops doing their brazen thang and catkins are out in their thousands
but the primroses were a real and unexpected bonus, given the short but
nastily sharp cold spells we've had here. And last night we had 1.5" of
rain. Maybe that's the magic key! On the village green, daffodils are in
bud and clearly keen to flower so a very small dose of sunshine is going to
help them do that - and the birds are definitely 'at it'! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk