Old 15-02-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default First primroses...

....saw them today on our way back from some shopping at Riverford Farm.
These seems to be the earliest primroses in our area, every year. They're
at the foot of a steep drive to a house situated at the bottom of a very
narrow lane. So - they're well drained and thanks to the surrounding trees,
pretty well sheltered, too. The banks and hedges are still alive with
snowdrops doing their brazen thang and catkins are out in their thousands
but the primroses were a real and unexpected bonus, given the short but
nastily sharp cold spells we've had here. And last night we had 1.5" of
rain. Maybe that's the magic key! On the village green, daffodils are in
bud and clearly keen to flower so a very small dose of sunshine is going to
help them do that - and the birds are definitely 'at it'! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-02-2006, 05:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

ahhhhh primroses...........I have one hardy clump of them I hope are happy
enough to seed themselves. And banks of snowdrops?
sigh...............................I can SEE them.......the little ones with
the little lampshade like flowers and the green dots up nearer the backs of
the blossoms instead of the galanthus variety with the green dots on the
ends of each petal, right? I can STILL see them.......thanks Sacha! My
neighbor's pussywillow is plumping up and my red leaves on the tree peonies
that Mary Emma had me dig up a couple of years are unfurling.....awesome
time.............
maddie
id...

Old 16-02-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 16/2/06 2:04 pm, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

and the birds are definitely 'at it'! ;-)

I brushed and trimmed the dog the other day and snagged handfulls of
her hair on top of the hawthorn hedge for the birds. It had all been
grabbed by bluetits before the end of the afternoon.

We always do that too - if we can catch the dogs.......
And I put hair combings from family hairbrushes out of the window, too.

The
birds find it very rapidly at this time of year.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Would have to be Buzzards in our case to cope with the 2 gal bucket fulls
per week our dog seems to produce in winter/spring, slowing up a bit now
thank goodness.
At present the most noticeable birds are the Jackdaws (we have hundreds in
the village) who will squabble for hours over a stick when there are dozens
of others to be had without an argument! we get showered with sticks all
spring until they have finished building.
But the racket from all the birds has increased dramatically in the last few
days, so lets hope spring progresses in an orderly fashion and doesn't knock
us back after false hopes as last year :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-02-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:11:55 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Would have to be Buzzards in our case to cope with the 2 gal bucket fulls
per week our dog seems to produce in winter/spring, slowing up a bit now
thank goodness.
At present the most noticeable birds are the Jackdaws (we have hundreds in
the village) who will squabble for hours over a stick when there are dozens
of others to be had without an argument! we get showered with sticks all
spring until they have finished building.
But the racket from all the birds has increased dramatically in the last few
days, so lets hope spring progresses in an orderly fashion and doesn't knock
us back after false hopes as last year :~)

In the field adjacent to our garden are three elderly horses grazing
out their days. One is a small shaggy cob with a ginger coat. When the
jackdaws and magpies are nest-building they perch on his back and pull
out the loose hair (I assume he's moulting by then), flying away with
bright ginger moustaches. He doesn't seem to mind, despite their
repeated trips!

And we've had primroses for a couple of weeks now (west Cornwall).

--
Chris

Hardy English Primroses Pat Jordan Gardening 2 09-06-2004 11:26 AM
Primroses Aphodius United Kingdom 2 07-09-2003 10:04 PM
Mexican Evening Primroses Grandpa Gardening 0 22-08-2003 06:02 PM
Primroses are here! sacha United Kingdom 10 03-02-2003 10:53 PM
Primroses Barry & Iris McCanna United Kingdom 1 05-01-2003 10:24 PM