Old 16-02-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Default Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I think it's been mentioned before but "paraffin" is nothing more than
28sec domestic heating oil also know as kerosene.

Paraffin as used in lamps, portable heaters, blowlamps, etc. is
certainly not the same as domestic heating oil. 28 second oil
has a much higher char value (you could say that paraffin is
more refined). I just called a company to check their prices -
they will dispense paraffin into your own container (25 litre
plastic, 5l plastic, jerrycan, etc.) for 65p/litre. Kerosine
similarly collected is 50p/litre. Prices for large amounts
are "much cheaper".

So, get suitable containers, and take them to be filled at
your local oil fuel distributer/supplier (look in the Yellow
Pages). 1 gallon will be about £2.93, 4L about £2.60.

N.B. if you use heating oil in things designed for paraffin,
the wicks will become clogged and smoky rather quickly.