Old 17-02-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Barberry Bushes

"John Wheeler" wrote in message
I attended a seminar on invasive plants in Mid-Atlantic area, and barberry
was one. That gave me a good reason to get rid of the one I had. Last
Fall, I dug it up and planted a tree peony in its place. Looking forward
to watching the peony grow. One good thing about the barberry--birds liked
its protectiveness, especially in the winter.

It definitely *is* worth checking into, because if you're in an area where
they're not considered a nuisance, they can be wonderful plants. Not easy to
trim, though. But, they're one of the best ways of keeping dogs and other
trash from passing through certain border areas.