Old 18-02-2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Crown of Thorns

The plant popularly called the "Crown of Thorns" is Euphorbia milii var.
splendens from Madagascar was discovered in the 1800's and has absolutely
nothing at all to do with the passion of the Christ. The common name for the
plant is little more than a shrewd marketing ploy. In Asia, the plant is
called Poysean and has a different religious significance there as a "good
luck" plant.

The supposed "crown of thorns" mentioned in the bible was made from some
unspecified thorny shrub of which there are several found in the Middle
East. It is often presumed the plant was Ziziphus spina-christi but there is
no real proof of that. The species name was coined in the 1700's. It is not
grown as a house plant.

"Sharon" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the name of the plant that was Jesus' crown of thorns?
I have heard of the Crown of Thorns plant, but have read it probably
wasn't this plant that was made into "crown" for His head. I am a
Christian and would love to know what kind of plant they put on Him,
because I want to buy myself one.

Thanks for any help,

Sharon