Old 18-02-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

Default Crown of Thorns

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:57:52 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:57:43 -0500, "Sharon"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
.net...
The plant popularly called the "Crown of Thorns" is Euphorbia milii var.
splendens from Madagascar was discovered in the 1800's and has absolutely
nothing at all to do with the passion of the Christ. The common name for
the plant is little more than a shrewd marketing ploy. In Asia, the plant
is called Poysean and has a different religious significance there as a
"good luck" plant.

The supposed "crown of thorns" mentioned in the bible was made from some
unspecified thorny shrub of which there are several found in the Middle
East. It is often presumed the plant was Ziziphus spina-christi but there
is no real proof of that. The species name was coined in the 1700's. It is
not grown as a house plant.

"Sharon" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the name of the plant that was Jesus' crown of thorns?
I have heard of the Crown of Thorns plant, but have read it probably
wasn't this plant that was made into "crown" for His head. I am a
Christian and would love to know what kind of plant they put on Him,
because I want to buy myself one.

Thanks for any help,

Sharon

Thank you very much, I was about to waste money on something that had
nothing to do with Jesus at the time of His death.

Thanks again,
Sharon

I have the "Crown of Thorns" plant. It is interesting and has started
conversations about Jesus in my household so my personal experience is
that it is tied to Him. I put my Crown of Thorns on a sunny deck
where it produces an abundance of deep red primitive flowers that
attract hummingbirds. Withholding water produces an entirely
different looking plant. This plant can get out of hand so I trim it
once a year--this trimming is a messy project as with many Euphorbias
they bleed white sap. Cuttings root easily.

Speaking about biblical plants. I have an herb plant called rue that
is quite interesting. It has leaves that are three lobed, I guess
this represents the Trinity. I have this plant primarily due to the
odor it produces--cats hate it and stay out of my garden.

Try Passion vine. Lots of stories are made up about it, and if you
get the right kind you can eat the fruit.