Old 18-02-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default I've taken up smoking !

The message
from Dave the exTrailer contains these words:

Went to the local Garden center today and they had loads of those
cut-in-half whiskey barrels.
Then there in the corner were 4 enormous whole Whiskey barrells.
Even better they were only 29 quid a piece.
I remembered watching the Huge Ferneleaf whityysomething show where
he made a smoker from one so whipped out the credit vard and into the
back of the RR it went (Range Rover not Rolls Royce)
Now to make up a burner, then smoked cheese, smoked trout, smoked
everything !!!

Be careful: you can really only hot-smoke in a barrel, and that's
unsuitable for cheese - unless you place the toast under it. IMO fish
are pretty naff, too. (Yes, I've had serious fish-smoking experience in
Stornoway and with cheese-smoking back here in Norfolk.)

For cheese you need cool smoke, which means putting it high in a tall
flue - when I did it (and made the cheese) the rack was sixteen feet
above the fire in a 2½' × 2½' flue, constricted at the top with a
seven-inch diameter chimney with a 'butterfly valve' damper.

You light the fire in a grate at the bottom, get it going with oak or
apple wood, then when it's glowing nicely, cover it with oak or apple
sawdust/chips/shavings. You may need to have a small blower to keep it
burning. A hair-dryer stuck into a long snout of water pipe, etc does
OK.

For ideas about a more compact cold-smoking apparatus using
re-re-re-re-recycled smoke, google for 'Torry Kiln'.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig