Old 18-02-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

Default I've taken up smoking !

Went to the local Garden center today and they had loads of those
cut-in-half whiskey barrels.
Then there in the corner were 4 enormous whole Whiskey barrells.
Even better they were only 29 quid a piece.
I remembered watching the Huge Ferneleaf whityysomething show where
he made a smoker from one so whipped out the credit vard and into the
back of the RR it went (Range Rover not Rolls Royce)
Now to make up a burner, then smoked cheese, smoked trout, smoked
everything !!!

Old 18-02-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Dave the exTrailer contains these words:

Went to the local Garden center today and they had loads of those
cut-in-half whiskey barrels.
Then there in the corner were 4 enormous whole Whiskey barrells.
Even better they were only 29 quid a piece.
I remembered watching the Huge Ferneleaf whityysomething show where
he made a smoker from one so whipped out the credit vard and into the
back of the RR it went (Range Rover not Rolls Royce)
Now to make up a burner, then smoked cheese, smoked trout, smoked
everything !!!

Be careful: you can really only hot-smoke in a barrel, and that's
unsuitable for cheese - unless you place the toast under it. IMO fish
are pretty naff, too. (Yes, I've had serious fish-smoking experience in
Stornoway and with cheese-smoking back here in Norfolk.)

For cheese you need cool smoke, which means putting it high in a tall
flue - when I did it (and made the cheese) the rack was sixteen feet
above the fire in a 2½' × 2½' flue, constricted at the top with a
seven-inch diameter chimney with a 'butterfly valve' damper.

You light the fire in a grate at the bottom, get it going with oak or
apple wood, then when it's glowing nicely, cover it with oak or apple
sawdust/chips/shavings. You may need to have a small blower to keep it
burning. A hair-dryer stuck into a long snout of water pipe, etc does
OK.

For ideas about a more compact cold-smoking apparatus using
re-re-re-re-recycled smoke, google for 'Torry Kiln'.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-02-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Be careful: you can really only hot-smoke in a barrel, and that's
unsuitable for cheese - unless you place the toast under it. IMO fish
are pretty naff, too. (Yes, I've had serious fish-smoking experience in
Stornoway and with cheese-smoking back here in Norfolk.)

My recollection is that HF-W used a barrel for smoking and a separate
fire, connected by a flue that allowed the smoke the chance to cool.

For ideas about a more compact cold-smoking apparatus using
re-re-re-re-recycled smoke, google for 'Torry Kiln'.

A quick search turns up lots of hot-smoking stuff, but little cold-
smoking information. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

James
Old 19-02-2006, 02:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from James Fidell contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Be careful: you can really only hot-smoke in a barrel, and that's
unsuitable for cheese - unless you place the toast under it. IMO fish
are pretty naff, too. (Yes, I've had serious fish-smoking experience in
Stornoway and with cheese-smoking back here in Norfolk.)

My recollection is that HF-W used a barrel for smoking and a separate
fire, connected by a flue that allowed the smoke the chance to cool.

That seems plausible.

For ideas about a more compact cold-smoking apparatus using
re-re-re-re-recycled smoke, google for 'Torry Kiln'.

A quick search turns up lots of hot-smoking stuff, but little cold-
smoking information. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Dunno - it's been a lot of years since I did any cold smoking, and that
was in a home-built kiln. Mr Fish's hurricane removed the top of it, and
I put it back. A while later something not quite so hurricaney came
along and blew the top off a second time and I never got round to
putting it back again.

Very basically, a Torry Kiln is a big box of baffles with some fans in
it. You blow a small trickle of smoke into it and that is circulated and
recirculated, and there's an outlet which vents the same volume of old
smoke as you're putting in.

IIRC the outlet is from the middle, so the circulating smoke is kept to
the outside as in a cenrtifuge.

If you work it right you should be able to enrich uranium in it...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-02-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:56:37 -0000, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

[...]

Some brilliant info there.
I am indebted to the honourable gentleman

Old 19-02-2006, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Martin contains these words:

The old Dutchman who produces hot smoked kippers, whilst you wait in
the Enkhuizen Zuider Zee Museum uses oak ships in a old oil drum with
the top covered with hessian sacking ... plus herrings.

Pretty big oil drum, then?

According to the local paper there's another Dutchman smoking fish &
meat etc. in the centre of Amsterdam, you are supposed to be able to
smell the smoke as you exit from Amsterdam Central Station.

/thinks burning rubber.../

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-02-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Martin contains these words:

The old Dutchman who produces hot smoked kippers, whilst you wait in
the Enkhuizen Zuider Zee Museum uses oak ships in a old oil drum with
the top covered with hessian sacking ... plus herrings.

Pretty big oil drum, then?

I heartily recommend one of these for hot smoking:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2...cg_sg_smk.aspx

Also makes THE BEST ribs, turkey breasts, briskets etc....you've ever had.