Old 18-02-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Name of boundary method

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)
"a.c." wrote in message
ps.com...
Apparently seen in Romania. Place a row of small stakes (1.2m high from
ground X 1.5 to 2m apart), Then add a similar adjacent row around
40-50cm away (parallel) but placing posts between the previous row.
Fill the space in between with you prunings until compact barrier is
formed.
Does this type of thing have a name? Was it built by our ancestors (I
have a vague feeling of having encountered it before)?
What creatures may benefit. How long will it last? As it decomposes,
which plants best thrive... is weeding a problem?
Thanks.

We live on a private road and the residents association decided to use prunings
from the trees to make something similar at the end of the road. These are
sometimes quite large branches and they make a nice natural boundary. the wood
does not seem to rot down too fast and makes a great habitat for birds, insects,
frogs, hedgehogs etc.

Even if it does rot down it will probably be bound together by then with roots
from the plants that settle there.

I know what it's called in Dutch (houtwallen) but the translation into
'rampart's does not seem to fit ............ Martin are you out there?

Jenny